Saturday 4 February 2017

REFLECTION | ‘Whatever you do to the least of your brothers, you do unto me. By Rev. Fr. Christian B. Buenafe, O. Carm.



REFLECTION | ‘Whatever you do to the least of your brothers, you do unto me’
By Rev. Fr. Christian B. Buenafe, O. Carm. | Lifestyle Section, InterAksyon.com · Sunday, November 2, 2014 · 7:14 am

In today’s gospel, we are inspired to see God not only in our natural surroundings but also in others, especially those who are in need. Reflection photo by Bernard Testa, InterAksyon.com.
Jesus said to his disciples, “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separate the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
“Then the king will say to those on his right, ’Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’
“Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, of naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’
“And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’ … And these will go off… to eternal life.”
—Matthew 25:31-46 
Continue Reading
We all want to know what the future holds for us. How will our end time happen? Is there really life after death?  Is heaven real?  Is hell real? Questions on the end of time are real issues for most people.
The gospel reading is on what will happen on judgment day.  What will happen during the last day when everyone will be judged accordingly? Who belongs to God and not?  Who are those blessed by God and those who are no?  Jesus talked to his disciples and described to them what would happen during that day. Who will sit at the right and at the left? Jesus also named who would inherit the kingdom; and the bases of God’s judgment.
Lord, when did we see you?  When did we meet you?  As God is present in us, in our lives, in our brothers and sisters, it is important to open our eyes and hearts so that we are able to see and recognize God.
What have we done to the hungry, the thirsty, the naked, the homeless, the sick, and the prisoner in our midst?  Have we offered them food, drink, clothes, home, cure and healing, hope and justice?  Did we help uplift those who come to us who are in dire need; those who are in despair and in a state of hopelessness?
There are a lot of hungry, thirsty, naked, homeless, sick, imprisoned people around but have we done something to help them.  Were we there for them when they needed us most?  Do we share what we have with them?  Or do we say, “I have nothing to offer and give as I am not rich.”  You don’t need to be rich or affluent to give and share with others.  Even for simple and poor people, they are also invited to help those who have none and the least.
At home or in our community, do we generously and joyfully share or when we do that always with conditions and with terms.  Do we only give our spare or surplus?  We ought to give because we have the capacity to give.  We ought to share because we have something to share.  Giving and loving make us human, most especially to the least brothers and sisters of ours.  For “whatever you do to the least of your brothers/ sisters, you do unto me” is Jesus’ gentle reminder to us if you want to inherit the kingdom.
Let us ready ourselves because the Lord can take us to himself.  Are we following and living out his will lovingly? We hope that God will be merciful on us during the Day of Judgment and with that hope should also come our eagerness to meet him. That we had done our part and have reached out to our brothers and sisters who have the least.
Let us pause and pray, reflect and ask ourselves:
Do I recognize the Lord in my brothers and sisters who are in need?
Do I share with others what I have and what I can?
Do I see Jesus in my brothers and sisters who are in need?
Have I opened my heart to God and had him stay in my life?
Am I ready to face God today?  Am I ready to see my God who is our God today?
Prayer: Almighty and Ever-living God, open our eyes to see you in our brothers and sisters.  Open our hearts so we may answer your invitation to us to love and serve you especially to the least brothers and sisters of ours.  Lord, we entrust to you our lives and of our brothers and sisters who are in need.  This we ask through Christ our Lord who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.
Intention:  Let us pray for those whose hearts and minds are still close and afraid to love that may the Lord touch their hearts and minds so they may extend their hearts and hands to their brothers and sisters; also to our brothers and sisters who are deprived and oppressed, those who are living in the margins and are neglected; that they find and encounter the Lord bless in the people they meet and live with.

Let us also remember our beloved deceased members of our families, relatives, friends and all those who need our prayers; may the Lord grant them eternal rest and peace.

1 comment:

  1. It is really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please visit my web site airconcleaningcairns.com.au. Best CARM Transfers service provider.

    ReplyDelete