Tuesday 26 June 2018

WEDNESDAY 18TH WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME YEAR B. By Tobe Eze


WEDNESDAY 18TH WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME YEAR B.
1ST READING: JEREMIAH 31:1-7
GOSPEL: MATTHEW 15:21-28
THEME: PERSISTENCE IS A VIRTUE.
I was travelling from Nsukka to Enugu one day. I entered pick and drop bus. At a point where it dropped to pick more persons, a boy came to me to buy pear from him. I told him that I did not need it. He continued persuading me to buy it. I ignored him but to my greatest surprise, he did not go. At a point, I had to save myself that embracement and bought the pear from him. I bought that pear not because I needed it but because he persisted.
In the first reading, God said that all that will survive the tribulations will enjoy his goodness. He is also telling us today that if we persist in following him, despite all the troubles of the world that he will bless us.
We can see the practical persistence in the gospel. Persistence working and walking. Persistence personified. The woman despite that Jesus called her and her daughter dogs, she used one Igbo adage as a consolation, “Onyeocha kpoo mu ewu ma ya kwuo mu ugwuo mu”. Jesus can call her anything provided she gets what she was looking for.
We sing regularly “Mmiri mara mu ebe mu n’ eso Jesu” but we do not live it out. There is always a reward that follows those who persisted till the end. “The one who will remain steadfast will be given the unfading crown of glory” (1Peter 5:4). Let us ask God to give us the grace to be persistent in good things despite the situations we may find ourselves. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment